Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mother: Anoka-Hennepin School policy contributed to gay son’s suicide

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/news/2010/09/02/mother-anoka-hennepin-school-policy-contributed-gay-son%E2%80%99s-suicide

Bullying is a huge problem, whether it be due to one's sexuality or one's race. Why kids/adults do it is way beyond me. I can somewhat relate to the mother in this article. Her son committed suicide after being bullied about being gay. Not only do I know someone who committed suicide, and was just at an awareness event, but both my brother and sister have faced bullying throughout their school years. Neither of these situations were due to sexuality issues, but none the less, no one should have to deal with being bullied!
The school district in which the mother's son attended, Anoka Hennepin, was offered an LGBT sensitivity training program for all it's teachers. To my understanding, the district denied the offered from OutFront Minnesota, saying that the neutrality policy prevented the support of the LGBT community. In my opinion, this would have been a great opportunity for the school district to take advantage of. I know that not every one accepts LGBT's, but today's teachers need to be informed. In a growing LGBT community, the bullying is becoming more 'in your face,' and is something that needs to be fixed and dealt with. Whether we want to accept it or not, I believe our teachers need to be taught how to deal with situations like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment