Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Field Experience: Day 01

Monday, February 14, 2011

Today I met my class that I will be working with for my field experience this semester. I am working in Big Woods Elementary, which is part of the St. Michael-Albertville school district, in a first grade classroom. My morning started out great! As I was walking down the hall to the classroom, I saw a bunch of smiling faces and a hand full that I knew. As I greeted the children while they were being checked into the class, I realized that three of the students were ones I had worked with at a previous child care center. I was very excited to know some of the curious faces in the room. After announcements were finished, the class broke up into reading time. I went off with an individual student to work on the letters and their sounds.He was new at the start of the year (2011) and is having trouble forming the correct sounds. Though I was nervous to be working with him alone, I really enjoyed it. I had a sheet that showed what he knew and didn't know from last week. It made me feel good to see the progress he had made in just a week. After working with him, I took two students down to the library to read and take AR (Accelerated Reader) tests. Both students read their book of choice, and tested afterwards. I could tell that they were proud to show me how much they could read on their own, as well as long themselves into the computer for the tests. By the time I was done with these students, it was time for me to leave. I cannot wait for next week; the teacher has something special planned for the students!

No comments:

Post a Comment