Thursday, May 5, 2011

Field Experience Reflection

Amanda Mozis
SPED 200
Kathy Johnson
Monday, April 25, 2011
Field Experience Reflection
            Throughout this course, I have learned a lot about myself. Before this course, I was unsure if I really wanted to become a teacher. I have learned about where I want to go in life and what I want to do. Before doing my field experience, I was not sure where the experience would take me. So, ten weeks and twenty hours later, here I am, confident about where I am going.
            The first day of my field experience was nerve wrecking. I had done some “internships” with this district in high school, but every experience is new and different. I was not sure what to expect this time around. Walking into my teacher’s classroom, I was relieved at how comfortable it was. He walked me through what he had planned for me for the day, as well as his usual Monday morning routine.
            I soon learned that mornings were spent on reading. Not just straight forward reading, but multiple activities, making it exciting for the students. The teacher had his students split into groups (whether they were split like the ‘People Plus+’ activity arranges students, or not, I am unsure), each group working on different reading activities. One group would work at his computer, listening to stories or playing reading-related games. Another group would work on what is called AR, or Accelerated Reader. This program is one that has been around since I was in second grade. Books are given different amounts of points, and the students take computer tests on each story. Based on the number of correct answers, the students receive these points, adding up throughout the year. When I was in school, the points were then used to earn rewards such as pencils, erasers, bookmarks, etc. I believe now the school has a contest between both grades as well as classes at each grade level. This program brings excitement to reading, allowing the children to enjoy it rather than dread it. The teacher would also work with a group of students on site words in whatever story they were reading. The students were allowed to use their own small white boards and markers, allowing them to be actively engaged in their learning. There were also one or two other groups, however, I cannot think of the activities he had arranged for them. I really enjoyed the set-up my teacher had for his reading time. With him being engaged with a single group, it left the other groups to be responsible for themselves, showing them his trust, which is an important part of education.
After announcements were finished, I would either take a group of students to do make-up tests, or I would work one-on-one with students on their reading speeds. The students had reading packets in which they were timed on the short stories. Each student was at his/her own level, allowing them to progress at their own speed. I would go over the vocabulary words for each story before they were timed for the first time. After the first minute, we would read the story together. The student would then read the story through fully without timing, and then they would read through for the last time with a final timing. This activity was very rewarding. I had students that were slower, with more words correct, and I would have students who were super fast, with multiple mistakes. I really enjoyed the one-on-one time because I was able to see the students succeed as their words per minute increased, as well as their confidence.
            For the mornings where I was working with students on make-up tests, I was able to get an understanding of how far along they were in comparison to their classmates. I particularly was able to really get to know one individual, Boston. I was not told so, but I had a feeling that he had special needs, needing extra help and attention. He was not a trouble maker, rather the most respectful of the group, only needing assistance for comprehending some of the material. At first, he was quite shy towards me, unsure of my presence, but at the weeks fly by, he had learned that I was there to help, and truly cared about him and his education. He, out of all the students, I am going to miss the most; he was really something special!
            Before this experience, I was unsure where I wanted to go with my life. I knew that education was important to me, and that I wanted to make a difference, but I was not sure how I was going to do this. Was I going to be a mainstream teacher, or was I going to be a special education teacher? Was I going to be the one complaining, or the one making the change? Through this experience I have realized that this is my calling; this is where I was meant to be.
            I have seen my brother struggle through school, and wondered what the heck was wrong with our teachers. I have spent numerous nights wondering why we could not find teachers who care, only teachers who ‘teach.’ I have realized that it is not the teachers, though, but the education system as a whole.
I have learned the importance of standing up for what you believe in. I believe that we need teachers who want all of their students to succeed, not just the ones who they feel are ‘going somewhere in life.’ We need teachers who are willing to put themselves out there if it means that their students will do better. We need teachers who can respect differences among their students, and be willing to work with each student, and accept them for who they are. And most of all, we need teachers who love what they do, and want to share and spread that love with their students.
I want to be the person who is making the difference in the lives of my students and our education system. There is so much to be fixed and review that one cannot just stand by and hope that it happens, one needs to take actions to make it happen. I am not going to be walking down a path already mapped out, but making my own as I conquer my dreams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment